In September of 1944, the Miami Police Department began hiring black police officers. In May of 1950, a police precinct was established at 480 NW 11 Street to provide a station house for African American policemen and a courtroom for African American judges in which to adjudicate African American defendants. This building is unique as there is no other known structure in the nation that was designed, devoted to and operated as a separate station house and municipal court for Blacks. The precinct closed in 1963 and the police department was integrated at the main MPD police station.
The Black Police Precinct was built in 1950 to provide a separate and segregated headquarters for Black officers. Separation of the Black and White races was the Jim Crow law of the South. Six years before the precinct was built the first five African American patrolmen were hired in 1944 . The patrolmen were Ralph White, John Milledge, Clyde Lee, Ed Kimble and Moody Hall. Learn more at www.historicalblackprecinct.org.
By: Shayne Benowitz | miamiandbeaches.com
Let’s go back in time to dazzling 1960s Miami. Recall icons like Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr. and the rest of The Rat Pack cavorting around Miami Beach’s glittering nightclubs. It was in Miami Beach in 1964 when Muhammad Ali—then still called Cassius Clay—defeated defending heavyweight world champion Sonny Liston and claimed the title for himself for the first time. He made his home in Miami and famously trained at the Fifth Street Gym in South Beach with Angelo Dundee to become “The Greatest of All Time.”
The 1960s were also a tumultuous time in Miami with racial inequality and segregation laws strictly enforced. While Ali had his star-making win in Miami Beach that night in 1964, he was not allowed to spend the night in Miami Beach because of Jim Crow’s segregation laws. He went instead to the Hampton House Motel in Brownsville, just outside of Liberty City on the mainland, to celebrate with his friend Malcolm X. It’s said that he enjoyed a bowl of ice cream to mark his big win. Ali also had a home in Brownsville that still stands today. Read more or visit www.historichamptonhouse.org.
The Spady Museum, Delray Beach, FL
Chat With Us! 866.859.3930
About the Cultural Heritage Alliance for Tourism, Inc.
Featured Off the Beaten Path Attractions
The Spady Cultural Heritage Museum is dedicated to discovering, collecting and sharing the African-American history and heritage of Palm Beach County. Located in the former home of the late Solomon D. Spady, the most prominent African American educator and community leader in Delray Beach from 1922 to 1957, the museum opened in July 2001 and is the only Black History Museum & Cultural Center of its kind in Palm Beach County. Learn more at www.spadymuseum.com.
Creating vibrant cultural and heritage tourism experiences that can drive economic development in heritage and urban communities.
Through our Cultural Heritage Alliance Tours' networks, we serve as a tour broker, tour developer, business development and marketing partner to our alliance members. Through our efforts, we strive to increase inclusion and engagement of tour operators, tour guides, attractions and small businesses in Florida's tourism industry as well as fuel economic development and sustainability in heritage neighborhoods and multicultural communities.
Each CHAT network is comprised of tour operators, tour guides, attractions and small businesses. CHAT partners with them to curate, market and book educational, interactive walking and bus tours of cultural, heritage and urban contemporary experiences for locals, domestic and international tourists.
The vision for the Cultural Heritage Alliance for Tourism, Inc. is to become a model initiative for increasing tourism readiness, tourism inclusion and engagement for cultural and heritage community assets throughout the State of Florida and other states.
CHAT seeks to partner with CVBs, Cultural Affairs, Cultural and Heritage Tourism organizations, City and County agencies to invest in our efforts to enhance the business and tourism capacity of small businesses and attractions in their local communities. We work to prepare them to actively participate in their local tourism ecosystems. Our tourism marketing and tourism readiness programs help them to position their businesses and destinations to attract foot traffic and dollars from locals, domestic and international tourists. Upon completion of our programs, they have the opportunity to join their local Cultural Heritage Alliance Tours' network. Current CHAT networks includes CHAT Miami, CHAT Broward and CHAT Palm Beach. We look forward to expanding and partnering with other CVBs, cities and counties across the State.
The Stranahan House, Fort Lauderdale
The Old Dillard Museum was built as a school of masonry construction in the Mediterranean Revival style with mission style elements. It was designed by prominent local architect John Morris Peterman and constructed by the firm of Cayot & Hart on land donated by civic leaders Frank and Ivy Stranahan.
The Old Dillard Museum was the first public school built for black children in Fort Lauderdale. Prior to that time “colored schools” held classes in private buildings provided by members of the community. In Fort Lauderdale, Colored School No. 11 began in 1907 in a structure built on land owned by Tom Bryan. It was a one-room wood-frame structure on the west side of what is now Northwest Third Avenue between present-day Broward Boulevard and Northwest Second Street.
On Sundays the building was used for church services. Learn more at http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/olddillardmuseum/.